Joshua R. Hoffman, Partner
Energetic. Passionate. Meticulous.
Joshua R. Hoffman
- JD, New York Law School, cum laude
- Harlan Honor Scholarship Recipient
- Moot Court Executive Board Member
- Robert F. Wagner National Labor & Employment Law
- Moot Court Competition Co-Author
- Finalist, Federal Bar Association Thurgood Marshall
- Moot Court Competition
- BA, University of Wisconsin
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York Insurance Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Josh is the second generation of Hoffman’s at the firm. The legal world is ingrained in him, and he started his legal career at 16 working after school for a real estate firm performing clerical and administrative work. Thereafter, throughout college, Josh worked as a paralegal for a prominent Long Island based insurance defense firm where he learned all facets of tort litigation, as well as gained invaluable experience on the administrative side. Josh’s administrative experience has been invaluable in helping HRM continue to be a client first firm who delivers cost effective results. During law school, Josh continued his legal career serving as the student co-chair for the New York City Bar Association Tort Committee; interning as a research assistant for his Constitutional Law professor; and interning at the Civil Division of the United State’s Attorneys Office for the Eastern District of New York, where he worked on all aspects of tort, medical malpractice, Title VII, ADA, health care fraud and environmental law cases. At the same time, in 2008, Josh also began his career at HRM immersing himself in all aspect of insurance defense litigation and coverage matters.
Presently, Josh focuses his practice on construction litigation, general liability cases, malpractice, commercial matters, coverage issues, risk assessment and consultation and appeals. He is meticulous in his preparation and attacks each case with passion and energy to exceed his clients’ expectations and needs. Josh is also one of the handful of attorneys under 40 in the insurance defense industry to have vast experience trying cases and arguing appeals. Josh’s first trial began with his client as the target and the co-defendant at a no-pay position. The case ultimately settled during jury deliberations with the co-defendant paying the bulk of the settlement and Josh’s insurance carrier paying less than half of what they offered before the trial began. Josh is also a frequent contributor to the New York Insurance Association (NYIA) quarterly magazine, as well as participates in panel presentations for NYIA throughout the year on a wide range of topics impacting the insurance industry.
Josh presently lives in Long Island with his wife, Stephanie, who is an attorney, and two children, Harrison and David. During his free time, Josh enjoys exercising, watching his beloved Mets and Giants and spending time with his family.
McIntosh v. New York City Partnership Development Fund Company, Inc., 165 A.D.3d 1251 (2nd Dep’t 2018).
Pennino v. Brooklyn Kings Plaza, LLC., 186 A.D.3d 1701 (2nd Dep’t 2020).
Morrissette v. Kismat Indian Restaurant, Inc. (2nd Dep’t 2021).
Ivasyuk v. Raglan, 197 A.D.3d 635 (2nd Dep’t 2021).
Billingy v. The Hearst Corporation
Macasaac v. Amerada Hess Corporation
Tsang v. Scrap It Up Metal Recycling Corp.
Livisaca v. Prism General Services Corp.
Minaya v. Ritmo’s “60’s” Inc.
Ryder Truck Rental, Inc. v. Leighton Construction Corp.
St. Louis v. Charles H. Gofney
Papadakis v. 1000 Park Owners Corp.
- Old MacDonald is Old News: The transformation of the traditional farm into a modern- day tourist attraction, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Fall 2014.
- Taking a Bite Out of An Unfamiliar Apple: The interconnection between Workers’ Compensation proceedings and the Labor Law, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Fall 2015.
- An Unfinished Story: The tale of New York’s draconian and antiquated statutory interest scheme, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Winter 2016.
- The Changing Landscape of Premises Liability and the Steep Hill Defendants Must Now Climb, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Spring 2016.
- Swords and Shields: Gaining an edge in the world of contractual indemnification, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Summer 2017.
- Inside the Lawyer’s Arena: A Case to Reform and Modernize the New York Court System, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Fall 2018.
- The Melting Away of the Storm in Progress Defense: Combatting the Courts’ willingness to accept alternative facts and attempts to tilt the law in favor of the plaintiff, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq., Winter 2018.
- New Laws to Address Harassment and Discrimination in the Workplace, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq. Fourth Quarter 2019.
- Litigation and the New York State Court System in the Era of COVID-19, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq. Fourth Quarter 2020.
- The Serpent in the Room, Third-Party Litigation Funding and Civil Litigation, Your New York Connection Magazine, Joshua R. Hoffman, Esq. Fourth Quarter 2021.